Sunday, January 27, 2013

DAY 4: December 30, 2012

Emmanuel’s “hellooo-oh-oh” is early this morning – around 6 AM. However, Don and I are both well-rested and up already.  We know that unlike yesterday, we have a long trek ahead of us today and we’re ready. I brush my teeth, wash my face and pack up all my stuff into the duffel bag.  Again, I decide it’s not worth getting my fleece jacket out – between the windcheater in my daypack and the rain jacket I think I’ll be OK upstairs, and even though I just have on my underwear and a pair of polypropylene athletic pants downstairs, the rain pants should be more than enough insurance I figure.  I do decide to stick a pair of running gloves into my pocket in case I need it.

I feel good and I’m hungry – always a good sign!  We are done with breakfast well before 8 AM.  Julio, Don and I are off on the trail by 8:30 AM.  I haven’t seen Abdallah this morning – not sure what his duties entail, but he will undoubtedly catch up with us soon enough.  We have been assured that although the trek today is long and with significant altitude gain along the way, it’s fairly gradual.  But things get tough pretty soon.  About two hours in it start to rain and also gets colder.  We’re still on the Shira plateau but as we steadily gain altitude the vegetation starts to thin out even more.  We start to crest a hill and all of a sudden things get busier.  So far, we've been pretty much the only ones on the trail but we suddenly see a huge group of people in the distance to our right, walking along the ridge of the hill that we are climbing.  We are now meeting the Machame trail (aka the Whiskey route), and from here on the two trails follow the same path to the summit.
Ready to leave for Barranco


Julio has already told us that things will start to get more crowded now.  In fact, there’s a large group of British climbers on the Machame trail who are being led by another team from Ahsante, and that’s the crowd we run into at the top of the hill.  We also see a smaller group of Japanese climbers with another team. Don and I exchange pleasantries with some of the English climbers, while Julio and Abdallah are getting caught up with the other Ahsante team accompanying the group.  Julio keeps referring to one of the guides as Obama, and I’m curious – is that really his name?  Julio grins. “No.  His name is Baraku; so of course, we call him Obama!”

For a while we all trudge along together – probably about ten to fifteen climbers and another five or six guides.  But the natural pace is different for all of us and we all take our water/snack breaks at different times, so eventually the line thins out.  We also see other people on the trail now - some that we overtake, others that overtake us.  By now the rain is heavier and it’s also much colder.  I wish I had pulled on my fleece jacket as well before setting off.  More to the point, the running gloves turn out to be a really dumb idea.  They’re soaked and my hands are absolutely freezing.  I pull the gloves off and stick them into my pocket but that doesn’t help as my hands are still cold.  Being a guy who only uses a single hiking pole, I do have the advantage of changing hands to hold the pole while I stick the other into my pocket in a futile attempt to keep it warm.  We have been steadily – albeit, gradually – gaining altitude and I notice suddenly that the only visible growth any more is made up of a few clumps of grass, and an odd shrub or two.  It is cold, wet and unpleasant; I figure we must be pretty high up.  We climb one more steep hill and suddenly we emerge into a rocky clearing.  There are large boulders everywhere around and a small flat area in the middle where several tents are being dismantled in the rain.  We see about twenty five to thirty people scattered around the clearing.  Well, the porters are in the clearing while the climbers are all mostly huddled under various rocks!  To our right is a huge, rocky outgrowth rising into the mist – it’s the dreaded LavaTower.  I look around and shiver; not sure if it’s caused by the cold or the sheer, harsh desolation of the place.


At 4600 meters, we are now at a tad over 15,000 feet.  I suddenly realize that this is the highest altitude I have ever been at. My previous high was Mt. Whitney in California (the highest point in the lower 48 states) and that was well under 15,000 feet!  But much to my amazement - unlike with Whitney - I am having absolutely no problems with the altitude and breathing quite easily despite my cold and sore throat.  On the other hand, I have not dressed appropriately; I’m cold as hell and my hands are numb.  Abdallah scouts out the locale and corners a space for Don and me right under a large rocky overhang where it’s relatively dry.  He pulls out a flask with steaming hot ginger tea and pours out a cup for both of us.  Boy, does that feel good.  I can’t decide what’s better – the tea warming my stomach or the hot cup warming my hands!  Once we’re slightly warmed up the lunch boxes are pulled out from Abdallah’s backpack.  It’s the same chicken/muffin/sandwich/juice-box/Snickers thing.  I eat some of it, but really have no appetite; it’s too damn cold, and the rain water is dripping from the brim of the ball-cap under the hood of my rain jacket.  Instead, I have another cup of the ginger tea.  We've been there about twenty minutes or so when Julio ambles up – neither he nor Abdallah seem particularly perturbed by the cold.  “Shall we go?” he inquires, “If you sit around for too long, you’ll start to get more and more uncomfortable.” 


OK...


Don and Julio go on ahead while Abdallah and I follow slightly behind.  The descent from Lava Tower is rapid.  The first stretch down is immediate; we walk no more than twenty yards from where we were huddled and it’s a precipitous drop over lots and lots of loose rock and stone and across a winding stream of water that we cross several times on our way down.  I pick my way down carefully – very carefully. One misstep and it could be a disaster.  Luckily, despite the rain the rocks are not slick.  There’s no moss or plant growth that covers them and the soles of my Merrells grip the rocks pretty well.  It takes about fifteen or twenty minutes to get to relatively solid ground, and the steep descent continues.  More plants and shrubs slowly start to appear.  The rain has let up and several people are stopping to take pictures of the amazing scenery as they descend.  In the distance I can see smoke and the silhouette of tents.  “Cam-pee,” announces Abdallah with a wide smile. 


It takes us another forty five minutes or so to get there.  I check my watch and see that it’s around 2:30 PM as we walk into the hut and sign the register at Barranco camp.  Ricky is there to fist-bump us, and Julio offers us his congratulations.  “That was a long walk and we got up very high, but you had no trouble!” he says.  “You know those two German climbers couldn't make it up to Lava Tower? They just gave up and turned round – they were too tired.”  Hmmm, not sure who he was referring to, but I learn that Lava Tower is one of those locations that does take its toll on many climbers.  I’m happy we made it here without any real problems. 
Barranco is - without any doubt - the most spectacular of all of the camp sites on our route.  I look around and take in the scenery, which leaves me slightly breathless.  To get an idea of what it’s like, let’s start at 12 o’clock and go counter-clockwise: from 12 to 10 is a sheer rock face, rising high and disappearing into the mist – the famed Barranco wall that we will be scaling tomorrow.  I don’t know it yet, but behind the wall, hidden in the mist is Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Julio says: “It’s right there.  You can’t see it now, but you will see it very soon!”  
Barranco Wall


To the left from 10 to 8 is the hill down which we came from Lava Tower, with a beautiful stream snaking its way down – I follow it to the top of the hill with my eyes, where it also disappears into the mist. 
View from Camp Barranco
Go further to the left and from 8 to 6 there’s another hill with a path that was once used to get to Barranco, but that has since been abandoned; a wooden shack still remains at the bottom of the hill. Moving on, between 6 and 4 there’s about a twenty foot drop from the flat clearing where our tents are pitched, and then there’s another flat area with more tents.  At this level there’s not a huge amount of vegetation – mostly cactus-like plants and succulents scattered among the rock.   I suddenly realize how crowded this place is.  Between the two camping zones there must be at least forty to fifty tents.  This is where the Shira, Lemosho and Machame routes all come together for a common camp site.  Julio says that during the peak season the site can accommodate up to 300 climbers per day. 

Barranco Camp
But what really takes my breath away is what there is between about 4 and 12.  We are high up and as I peer down, the mountains fade away rapidly.  I can see another stream running down a valley below us between two of the mountains, and disappearing into a bunch of clouds.  Yes, clouds - we are well above the clouds! And in the distance, between a break in the clouds I can see the plains. Moshi and Arusha are somewhere there I guess.  The sheer grandeur of the scene is overwhelming.  It’s not sunny or clear, but at least it’s not raining, so I rush into the tent to pull out my camera and my telephoto lens.  Don is resting, but despite being pretty tired I’m too pumped up to sleep, and I wander around taking lots and lots of pictures. The clouds are floating by and it’s amazing how the sights change.  One moment you see a mountain and the next moment you don’t.  A valley disappears into the mist even as you watch.  Streams of water from melting glaciers high above sparkle in the diffused sunlight.
Above the clouds, looking down at the plains

At around 4:30 or so, things start to clear a bit. Abdallah, who wanders by, points behind and above the Barranco wall. And lo and behold, I get my first close look at Mt. Kilimanjaro; or at least parts of it (the peak is still hidden under the clouds).  Patches of snow cover the sides as they climb up to the clouds.  It seems so close I can almost reach out and touch it.  In fact, it looks so close that I wonder why we need another three days to get there! For the next fifteen minutes or so I watch as the mountain disappears and reappears repeatedly while the clouds float by, until finally it’s obscured fully once again.

By now, pretty much everyone who’s camping at Barranco has reached the site.  The place is packed.  A teenager (I gather he’s German or Swiss) pukes his guts out next to his tent as his mother rubs his back.  Clearly, the altitude has gotten to him.  Another middle-aged guy is seated on a rock with his head in his hands – he doesn’t look too good either.  One guy is on his cell phone; I can’t believe it, but I’m told you can actually get a signal even this high up – wow!  Don has also come out of our tent by now and he and I pick up a conversation with a woman who’s about my age or perhaps slightly younger, and looks to be Indian.  Turns out she lives in Minneapolis and she’s here along with her husband (who works in Saudi Arabia) and daughter (who’s in Atlanta), and a group of other friends from the Middle East (I think she said Bahrain).  Hmmm, don’t know that I’d consider climbing Kilimanjaro to be a pleasant family vacation!  It turns out that I kind of know one of her cousins (or perhaps it’s her cousin’s son?) who works in the same building as me. I ponder the improbability of running into some complete stranger in the middle of nowhere, on a mountain in Africa, with whom I share a common acquaintance!  Her husband comes out of a tent and she introduces him to us – she definitely looks to be in much better shape than him after today’s trek.


It’s getting dark, and pretty soon I hear the “soo-poo” announcement from Emmanuel. We go into the mess tent for dinner.  Neither of us is particularly hungry but we force ourselves to eat something – as usual, I kind of enjoy the hot soup.  Julio comes in as usual at the end of the meal and admonishes us for not eating enough: “I think I will take you down and not up, if you don’t eat better.  You need energy and strength to climb!”  He reviews the next day’s climb and checks on the water situation.  Tomorrow will be relatively short compared to today and with virtually no net altitude gain.  However, he says that the first two to two-and-a-half hours will be pretty tough because we will be scaling the Barranco wall and getting up all the way to 4800 meters (about 15,750 feet).  Quite a bit of it will involve scrambling on all fours and pulling ourselves up the rock face.  However, after we reach the top he says it will be easy and all downhill, for another couple of hours at most, until we reach the camp at Karanga, which is due east and slightly north of where we are now.  It’s also roughly the same altitude as Barranco. From there we will head northwest towards the mountain to our base camp at Barafu on the following day. 


Today has been a long, tiring day and I had resisted the urge to lie down in the afternoon, so I’m pretty beat.  Julio says to get lots of sleep – there’s no rush tomorrow.  The plan is to wait for most people to leave and start off leisurely at 9 AM or so, since we’ll only be walking for four to five hours at most. We’re getting closer to the big day when we will be climbing to the summit, and Don and I have many questions about when we will start off, and what clothes we should wear, and what we will do when we descend.  Julio is strangely reticent and brushes off our questions.  Hakuna Matata! “No probe-lames,” he says. “We can talk about all of that when we get to Barafu and we see how everyone is doing.”  I’m not sure what to make of it.  Does he think we can’t do it?  I mean, I think we’ve done pretty well so far!  I ask him how he thinks we are doing in terms of what he’s seen with other climbers, and he smiles and says we’re doing excellent.  Hmmm.  
I figure I’ll sleep well tonight because I’m so tired.  My head is feeling stuffed again, so I take another NyQuil (and curse my cold) just before I change into my fleece stuff and zip myself into my sleeping bag.  I pass out almost immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment